Isn’t it amazing when you get a new car/RV complete with that new vehicle smell? Unfortunately, it doesn’t take long for that delightful scent to fade. It’s an awful feeling to be driving and wondering what the heck you’re smelling. If you happen to be giving someone a ride, it’s just plain embarrassing. The worst thing about it is that if you spend a lot of time in your car, after a while you will start to smell like it. Here are some tips that will help you keep your car smelling fresh even when it’s not brand new. Have you ever heard the expression ‘Nose Blind’?
- Remove garbage from your car. When you leave garbage inside, it won’t take long for it to create an odour. Even one or two items each day can turn into quite a mess after a week or two. When you consider that those food containers have leftover (now spoiled) food in them and that dirty clothes grow bacteria, it’s not surprising that it makes your car smell bad. Throw a Chlorine Dioxide Vapour kit in once in a while for a quick sanitization of your space.
- Minimize Pet Hair. Did you know that pet hair is hollow and retains odours for long periods of time? Reduce pet hair in your vehicle by covering your seats with an old (clean) blanket. Shake it out and wash it regularly. Vacuum out all other pet hair from your vehicle weekly. It can be hard to remove but be persistent. Try a “Rock Fur Remover” for best results. Use a light spray of LiquaSan to odour neutralize on a continual basis.
- Never shampoo a dog smelling car. Saturate with LiquaSan and kill the dog smell that is on the top of the surface. If you shampoo, you will be driving the smell deep into your under padding. Now your car smells like wet dog. It takes quite a while to dry out your under padding but if you use a proper carpet dryer it mimics a puddle on a windy day and gets the job done faster.
- Give your car a mini-clean each week. If you set aside half an hour each week to vacuum the carpet and upholstery, shake out your mats, and clean the inside of your vehicle, you will eliminate most odours. Use LiquaSan for all your cleaning because it deodorizes at the same time. Why not do both at the same time without all the nasty fragrances. Stop using coverups, neutralize odours quickly without an offensive leave behind odour.
- Don’t smoke in your car. If at all possible, don’t allow anyone to smoke in your car. It is very difficult to get rid of the smell and even if you don’t notice it, your passengers will. Thank goodness there IS finally a solution for cigarette cars. Fresh Start® Odour Treatment’s protocol for a cigarette vehicle is a primer and paint approach. The primer is LiquaSan and the paint is the Vapour Kits. Use LiquaSan first – vents, seatbelts, all carpets, upholstering and especially headliners that are done twice sometimes, with no sagging or colour damage then gas it over night usually or a minimum of 8 hours. Then recycle and compost all materials and air vehicle out for a few minutes. THAT’S IT!!!
Try an odour treatment. If you cannot do it yourself, call us!
The secret to keeping your car smelling fresh is to do a little bit each day. While you do have to put some effort into it, it’ll be worth it every time you open your car door and your passengers will thank you for it!